Feb 08, 2023
Student Learning Outcomes
- Analyze existing system and design technology solutions appropriate to the goals of the organization. (Cross-curricular Skill: Inquiry & Analysis)
- Analyze, design, develop and implement an information system by using system development methodologies. (Cross-curricular Skill: Inquiry & Analysis & Problem Solving)
- Understand and demonstrate problem solving skills through hands-on programming activities. (Cross-curricular Skill: Problem Solving)
- Demonstrate core IT infrastructure competencies. (Cross-curricular Skill: Information Literacy)
- Understand the leadership role of Management Information Systems in achieving business competitive advantage through informed decision making. (Cross-curricular Skill: Critical and Creative Thinking)
Exit Requirements for Business Majors
In addition to Northern State University graduation requirements, baccalaureate business majors must:
- Complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of course work in the School of Business at Northern State University. Acceptance of course work completed at other colleges and universities will be evaluated by the Dean.
- Take School of Business exit exam
Students majoring in management information systems must also complete business core courses and meet School of Business exit requirements.
Choose an emphasis (12 credits)
Management Information Systems Emphases
E-Commerce & Data Analytics Emphasis
Financial Systems Assurance & Security Emphasis
General MIS Emphasis
Choose four courses:
Recommendation for General Education Goal #5 (MATH 114):
It is recommended that MATH 114 or higher be taken to fulfill GE Goal #5.
General Education Requirements
Baccalaureate degrees - 30 credits
Associate degrees - 24 credits
Goal #1: Written Communication (6 credits Baccalaureate/Associate)
Student enrollment in the initial English course is determined by the Board of Regents placement policy (2:7.6).
Goal #2: Oral Communcation (3 credits Baccalaureate/Associate)
Goal #3: Social Sciences (6 credits Baccalaureate/3 credits Associate)
Elementary Education majors and Special Education majors must take POLS 100 , GEOG 210 , HIST 151 or HIST 152 .
Goal #4: Arts and Humanities (6 credits Baccalaureate/3 credits Associate)
Goal #5: Mathematics (3 credits Baccalaureate/Associate)
Student enrollment in the initial Mathematics course is determined by the Board of Regents placement policy (AAC Guidelines 7.6).
Goal #6: Natural Sciences (6 credits Baccalaureate/3 Credits Associate)
Associate Degree Flexibility (3 credits)
Students have the flexibility to select an additional three credits from Goal #3, #4, or #6 with courses selected from different disciplinary prefixes.
Degree Requirements (BS) - 9 credits
Quantitative Course (3 credits)
A course in Mathematics with a pre-requisites of MATH 114 or higher.
Additional Course (3 credits)
TOTAL DEGREE: 120 CREDITS