Feb 08, 2023
K-12 music education candidates must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.70 and a 2.70 GPA in the major. For more information regarding admission requirements and certification policies, see Teacher Education in this catalog.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate competency in fundamental musical skills through sight-playing/sight-singing and functional piano playing.
- Students will demonstrate competency in the application of knowledge of music theory through analysis, vocal/instrumental arranging, and composition. (Cross-curricular Skill: Critical and Creative Thinking)
- Students will demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate in writing on topics in the field of music history through the purposeful use of educational resources, critical thinking, and supporting details. (Cross-curricular Skills: Inquiry and Analysis; Information Literacy)
- Students will demonstrate skills in preparation for and performance of musical works that exhibit effective artistic expression. (Cross-curricular Skill: Foundational Lifelong Learning Skills)
- Students will demonstrate the ability to integrate skills and knowledge acquired over the course of an undergraduate education, particularly within the major, for a specific purpose that has value in the discipline. (Cross-curricular Skills: Intercultural Knowledge; Integrative Learning)
- Students will demonstrate the ability to integrate skills and knowledge acquired over the course of an undergraduate education for the purpose of effectively teaching music to K‐12 students in the public schools in compliance with the competencies established by the South Dakota Department of Education. (Cross-curricular Skills: Integrative Learning; Diversity, Inclusion and Equity)
Applied Music (8 credits Major Area)
Applied Music (4 credits Secondary Area)
Piano Proficiency (2 credits)
Large Ensembles (4 credits)
Methods (10 credits)
Must take 8 credits from major emphasis area plus an additional 2 from the list below.
Music Theory (18 credits)
Music History (8 credits)
Music Education (8 credits)
Teacher Education Requirements - BME (31 credits)
As recommended by NSU’s Millicent Atkins School of Educaton.
General Education Requirements
Baccalaureate degrees - 30 credits
Associate degrees - 24 credits
Goal #1: Written Communication (6 credits Baccalaureate/Associate)
Student enrollment in the initial English course is determined by the Board of Regents placement policy (2:7.6).
Goal #2: Oral Communcation (3 credits Baccalaureate/Associate)
Goal #3: Social Sciences (6 credits Baccalaureate/3 credits Associate)
Elementary Education majors and Special Education majors must take POLS 100 , GEOG 210 , HIST 151 or HIST 152 .
Goal #4: Arts and Humanities (6 credits Baccalaureate/3 credits Associate)
Goal #5: Mathematics (3 credits Baccalaureate/Associate)
Student enrollment in the initial Mathematics course is determined by the Board of Regents placement policy (AAC Guidelines 7.6).
Goal #6: Natural Sciences (6 credits Baccalaureate/3 Credits Associate)
Associate Degree Flexibility (3 credits)
Students have the flexibility to select an additional three credits from Goal #3, #4, or #6 with courses selected from different disciplinary prefixes.
Degree Requirements (BSEd and BME)
- EDFN 475 - Human Relations 3 credits
- EPSY 302 - Educational Psychology 3 credits
- EPSY 428 - Child and Adolescent Development 3 credits
- INED 411 - South Dakota Indian Studies 3 credits
In addition to fulfilling all General Education Requirements, candidates for the Bachelor of Science in Education or Bachelor of Music Education degrees must take the professional education course work required for certification in the state of South Dakota. See Teacher Education and specific requirements for Elementary Education; and K-12 Certification requirements for majors including Art, Health/Physical Education, Music, World Languages, and Special Education. See Secondary Education for BSEd majors in Biology, Chemistry, English, History, and Mathematics. Of these requirements, EDFN 475 , satisfies the Human Values goal for all majors. BSEd Art Education majors are allowed to take EDFN 475 or ARTH 250 .
TOTAL DEGREE: 136 CREDITS