Feb 02, 2023
In addition to being offered on Northern State University’s main campus (Aberdeen, SD), this major is also available online.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Apply the appropriate accounting and auditing standards to financial information and financial statements. (Cross-curricular Skill: Information Literacy)
- Analyze financial data and tax rules in order to prepare tax returns for individuals and businesses. (Cross-curricular Skill: Inquiry & Analysis)
- Identify and analyze data needed to create reports for managerial decisions. (Cross-curricular Skill: Problem Solving)
- Demonstrate the ability to use critical thinking skills to research an accounting situation and provide proper accounting treatment. (Cross-curricular Skill: Critical and Creative Thinking)
- Apply ethical dimension(s) to accounting situations. (Cross-curricular Skill: Ethical Reasoning)
Exit Requirements for Business Majors
In addition to Northern State University graduation requirements, baccalaureate business majors must:
- Complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of course work in the School of Business at Northern State University. Acceptance of course work completed at other colleges and universities will be evaluated by the Dean.
- Take School of Business exit exam
Students majoring in accounting must also complete business core courses and meet School of Business exit requirements.
Recommendation for General Education Goal #5 (MATH 114):
It is recommended that MATH 114 or higher be taken to fulfill GE Goal #5.
General Education Requirements
Baccalaureate degrees - 30 credits
Associate degrees - 24 credits
Goal #1: Written Communication (6 credits Baccalaureate/Associate)
Student enrollment in the initial English course is determined by the Board of Regents placement policy (2:7.6).
Goal #2: Oral Communcation (3 credits Baccalaureate/Associate)
Goal #3: Social Sciences (6 credits Baccalaureate/3 credits Associate)
Elementary Education majors and Special Education majors must take POLS 100 , GEOG 210 , HIST 151 or HIST 152 .
Goal #4: Arts and Humanities (6 credits Baccalaureate/3 credits Associate)
Goal #5: Mathematics (3 credits Baccalaureate/Associate)
Student enrollment in the initial Mathematics course is determined by the Board of Regents placement policy (AAC Guidelines 7.6).
Goal #6: Natural Sciences (6 credits Baccalaureate/3 Credits Associate)
Associate Degree Flexibility (3 credits)
Students have the flexibility to select an additional three credits from Goal #3, #4, or #6 with courses selected from different disciplinary prefixes.
Degree Requirements (BS) - 9 credits
Quantitative Course (3 credits)
A course in Mathematics with a pre-requisites of MATH 114 or higher.
Additional Course (3 credits)
TOTAL DEGREE: 120 CREDITS